Friday, December 7, 2007

Ah...painting, finished...

I really HATE painting. I like most home improvement tasks, but painting is not one of them. I pretty much always love the outcome, as I like having color in my house; but I hate the process and work to get to that process.

My brother came by this evening again to help me finish, finally, the baby's room. We needed to paint the slanted ceiling and the alcove ceiling a lighter shade of green than the walls are. For the walls, again, we used Benjamin Moore Key Lime, and we painted the slanted part of the ceiling and the alcove ceiling only with B.M. Lime Froth, basically two shades lighter than Key Lime. You can, honestly, barely see the Lime Froth vs. white ceiling, which it borders -- but that's OK. Gina's more of a conservative person when it comes to paint choices, particularly accents wall types of things. I'd personally have gone one or two shades DARKER, instead of lighter, but, again, this is OK. It's her room to decorate, I told her.

So that's done, finally. I don't have any pictures right now though. After it's cleaned up and lookin' good, I'll post more. It isn't much different than the last set.

After getting our $300 gas bill today, which is probably nothing compared to some people, and then reading about heating at The Bungalow Chronicles, I've decided to add a new task to the projects bar on the left -- installing programmable thermostats both upstairs and downstairs. At some point, of course. First, I have to figure out if I need to buy a new toilet for the first floor, as it appears to be broken. Although I could install the old upstairs toilet down here and see if that one works. Probably worth a shot, honestly. But I don't know when I'll get around to either of those tasks, as picking up and assembling the baby furniture is next on the list.

Meanwhile, Gina needs to find new window coverings for the baby room's windows, since the blinds up there are beige/tan and don't match anything now. Of course, then I'll probably have to install whatever it is...unless it's curtains. Maybe she can do those...we'll see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you plan to paint, you need to send for this FREE DVD from Purdy. I learned so much from it! For instance, did you know you shouldn’t wipe your brush against the side of the paint can? Just tap it against sides or you lose too much paint…and painting takes much longer.

Also, some paint brushes allow you to “cut in” or paint straight along the edges of trim and baseboards without using tape. You need to use an angular trim paint brush designed for the purpose.

Plus, if you have been worried about using a roller to paint walls and large surfaces, this DVD will show you how. It’s not difficult and you can be done in no time compared to using a paint brush.

To get the FREE DVD, go to the Purdy web site at www.purdycorp.com/bl, go to the Contact Us page, click on the link for a free DVD.