Monday, August 22, 2011

Final corn harvest...


Garden Aug. 21, 2011
Originally uploaded by southsideandy
Here are the last nine ears of corn from my garden...what a great year for the corn. It did so well. I'm thrilled, especially given that I got nothing last year.

I had to cut down my tomato plants because many of the tomatoes had split, and the whole bed was infested with flies. Maybe they'll grow more before the season is over, we'll see. But I'm not hopeful.

I also had to cut back the cucumber plants, because they were trying to grow on the roof of the garage. In the process I found a few really large, really nicely formed cucumbers.

I'm getting some sweet banana peppers, so that's good. But the red and orange bells are still not really producing. Ah well, you win some and lose some, I guess.

Lastly, I've got a boatload of carrots that I'll need to start harvesting -- good thing I like carrots...hopefully Nicky does too, as I'm probably going to process some of them into baby food. :)

4 comments:

Chris said...

I never thought of growing corn. I think I may give it a try next year.

Andy said...

The key is to plant enough to ensure pollination. I had four rows of nearly 20 plants each...with the plants spaced pretty closely, maybe about 4-5 inches apart. I cram them in (just like my other veggies)...which probably can create issues, but it seemed to work well this year. :)

Anonymous said...

Havent visited your blog in forever....I kind of forgot about it. Anyway...good job with the garden this year. Seems we had the exact opposite luck with the veggies! Scott has been bugging me for years to plant corn and I never thought that it produced enough in a small space to be worth it. You may have changed my mind after reading you planted them 4 to 5 inches apart....

Fargo said...

Our tomato harvest has been mediocre this year. Raspberry plants produced tons of blooms, but none got pollinated so we got no berries. :(

The summer's weird weather made it tough for many plant species. On the other hand, cucumbers have been out of this world - lots of cukes to eat, and plants that want to take over the world.