Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Catching up...

What a weekend and what a Monday! My wife's cousin Mike came over (he's a carpenter) and started framing the walls on Sunday. I tried to finish demolition of the shorter walls, and got about halfway before the Super Bowl rolled around and we had to stop, as we both had places to be. Mike came back Monday afternoon and evening, and he finished demolishing the old furring strips and the wall separating the boiler room from the family room. That wall was out of square, so we decided to just take it down and start from scratch there.

Mike the electrician (a friend of Mike the carpenter) came over Sunday as well to see what was going to be required, and we got a huge relief. Apparently, the electric box(es) are fine, they're just a little messy. Nothing is piggybacked or doubled up -- each breaker is legitimate and to code. Thankfully. As I mentioned, I was worried about this very thing costing us an arm and a leg. Now, Mike the electrician will probably charge us the most, because he's more distant, but at least it won't be a much bigger project (knock on wood) than we hoped, electrically speaking.

Finally, yesterday, Mike the heating/cooling guy, who is my cousin's fiance, came over to coordinate with Mike the carpenter on where the fireplace will be and plan for proper framing. We weren't going to install the fireplace just yet, because we weren't sure that (a) it would take a short time, or (b) we'd be able to afford it. But, we should be just fine -- thank God for friends and relatives. Of course, this now also means I have to think about exactly how I want it to look...so I'll have to look around and see what I can see.

And, yes, there has been talk that I will have to name the bar "Mikes' Place" in honor of the three Mikes. Or, "Tres Miguels" or something like that. :)

So many decisions, so little time! Although, it does appear that maybe, just maybe, we're on track to get this room at least presentable by Feb. 28, our son's first birthday party at the house. Boy, that would be totally awesome! Still crossing my fingers...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Tres Miguels" does not work. This is an example of how you can not translate literally. All you people out there using Babelfish, it doe not work.

sweetlenny said...

What kind of fireplace are you putting in? I'd love to add one to our basement or main floor but have no idea what that would entail.

Andy said...

Well, it entails a lot more than I originally thought... :) But, I'm putting in a direct-vent gas fireplace. I don't believe all the claims about "ventless" fireplaces -- my ass that they're safe. There needs to be some sort of air exchange, in my opinion.

Actually, it's not too bad...but my cousin is doing it, as his family is in the heating/cooling biz and he installs them for a living. If you ever decide you want to put one in and want their info, just shoot me an email. I'm glad to pass them along to give you a quote and let you know what you really can/cannot do.