Tuesday, April 8, 2008

For joists, have you ever ... ?

Went to the ol' Home Depot today...was looking at fences. Fences are ridiculous in terms of pricing. So much so that we might have to bite it and only replace half the fence this time around, and just get new gate hardware to make it through. We'll see.

But, while there, I got to thinking about my basement family room ceiling again. So I have a question for all y'all...

Has anyone ever sanded joists smooth and stained them? I'm talking OLD joists, not new construction joists. Nevermind how much work it will be. Whatever I decide to do is going to take work. If you have, and you have pictures of how it turned out, I'd love to see them.

I think I'm going to try this first in a couple spots, mostly because my alternatives will likely cover up whatever the heck I do if I don't like it.

That's about it for now, though...back to your regularly scheduled programming. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andy,

I thought about the staining route. My basement has some craziness in it that I think would prevent a stain from looking really good, but I could see this working in other basements. My biggest problem is that the floor above is OSB and so staining wouldn't look good there, I don't think. I thought about putting in some type of plywood/luan between the joists below the osb, and things started to seem like they'd be a whole lotta work.

My parents have an exposed beam look in their family room - I'll post some pictures of it. But there's was designed to look that way-in particular, they have premium grade pine and a toungue-and-groove pine board sitting above the joists. There's looks great, so I could see this working out if you have the right plan. Every day I get more and more resigned to drywall - which half makes me sad, and half doesn't.

Chris said...

I haven't done this with old joists but I have worked with very old wood before (very old oak pallets). I started sanding and due to the rough hewn nature and dark color, it barely made a dent. I ended up running everything through a planer to get it looking "new". Is it necessary that it look "new"? We left our joists in place and attached lath to it, spaced so you can still see the joists beneath. You can check out the results on my blog by hitting the "basement" tag.

Chris said...

I'm an idiot. I forgot to add the reason why I was commenting. The dowm side to having an exposed ceiling is the noise from the floor above. I didn't think this would bother me but get a couple people upstairs walking around while I am trying to watch TV and I go nuts. Just something to think about.